You’ve Probably heard that bats are not really blind and that many species can echolocate (“see” their environment using their ears) but were you aware that:
1. Some species aestivate rather than hibernate? Who would have This is to protect themselves from the harm the heat could do to their own bodies and also to prevent themselves from drying out. Some members of this leaf-nosed bat household (Phyllostomidae), that are found in Central and South America are thought to do this when the temperature gets too hot.
2. For a while, strange stories had been Coming from Hungary about a renowned song-bird, the great tit, feasting on bats. Usually, this bird species feeds on insects but if pickings were lean during the winter, there were reports of them turning into hibernating pipistrelle bats as a food source. The stories were so strange that a group of biologists set out into the Bukk mountains of Hungary to learn if they were authentic or not. They probably got a bit of a jolt when they saw it happening with their own eyes…
3. More Bird troubles for bats have occasionally come in the form of starlings. All these characterful and very vocal birds have been known to sometimes evict (and even kill!)) Bats who have turned a vacant tree hollow into a roost site, so that they are able to move in.
4. In a country deep in the South-east of Europe, bats have shaken off their association with the creepy and sinister and rather are deemed to exude good luck. Based on Larousse’s Dictionary of World Folklore, bat bones are Regarded as a lucky talisman in the Republic of Macedonia.
5. The inspiration for many human inventions has arrived in the plant and animal kingdoms. Bats have also set the inventive imagination of people alight with their wing architecture being an inspiration for an innovative sail design called the Transition Rig. Made by Dr.Richard Dryden, a lecturer at Plymouth University, this sail changes shape in response to the strength of the wind and it can also be folded up when it’s not being used, in a similar way to how bats fold their wings.
So there you Have it, 5 rare but nevertheless, true truth about bats from Bat Removal Orlando that offer a There continue to be many things to be Learnt about it and it’s more than likely it’ll continue to be a Source of surprises.